Thursday, February 6, 2014

The city that takes siestas

From 2 pm to 5pm roughly, or 14:00 to 17:00 as they say colloquially, everything is closed. Need to get a haircut? You better wait. Wanted fruit from the frutería? Better make do. There are a few things open, like supermarkets and franchises, eateries and bars, but the majority of places are closed. The doctor's office, for example, and most things that are important, are closed because the Spanish value siesta time the same way they value their holiday breaks, when there's a holiday break 95% of the country is off with you (a statistic I pulled out of my ass but it's prob not far off) .

In some ways I like this, it shows that Spaniards value their free time, they're not machines, and use that time to spend time with family and friends. Some might say that this lackadaisical attitude is what got them in a crisis but I think that's a very simplistic and capitalistic way of looking at it, what's wrong with taking a break from work? It's the same thing with lunch, as an American I'm used to eating quickly or even working and eating lunch, something considered absurd abroad. You give your meal it's due respect, that means not looking at your cell, not multitasking, just sitting down to eat and chatting with colleagues, family or friends. This is a regular thing, a way of life, and Spaniards are staunch in this respect. It reminds of growing up, how when I was younger my family would eat dinner everyday together, no tv, just food and conversation. I miss that, there's something simple about it but it's a beautiful thing to sit and eat with your fam. That's how I regard siesta and coming from The City That Never Sleeps, a little downtime ain't so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment